Пређи на главни садржај

Depression, misconceptions and my experience

 Recently, depression is a reoccurring theme in a lot of movies and especially series on tv. It's a good thing that people are aware that depression exists, and that it is very dangerous disease that can envelope person's entire life. Problem is how depression is sometimes depicted. Now, I am not a poster child of depression neither I have to be some "token" example of how depression looks and feels, but sometimes, I feel like writers are just too lazy.

In "Million little things" Rome suffers from depression, but it's depicted like he is going around all moody and frowny and literally says things like "I feel so crappy". He even considers suicide by holding bottle of pills and later tossing them away. This seems like a lazy presentation of depression. While this is not Romany Malco's fault, I am sure he did the best he could, it could be lazy writing. If depression was that obvious, with people going around looking sad or angry and saying "I feel so crappy", it would be much easier to detect depression and treat it. But, it's not. Depressed people often do not look depressed at all. They don't say things like "I am so sad!", "I feel like crap", I mean they can but so can people who do not have depression. They don't always look sad, cloudy or angry, they don't necessarily snap at others, and don't hide under blankets or sit with their head between hands. Sure, it looks good on the screen, but it's not that simple.

I have seen other depictions of depression, more or less acceptable, like Gretchen in "You're the worst", which was excellent series, and Aya Cash did her best, but that portrayal of depression was still not well written. It was far too loud and obvious. She was sleeping all day, which is really how depression looks like, stopped caring, alienating people and friends around her and slipping into dangerous loneliness and isolation. That sounds more like depression, especially self-isolation and losing friends on purpose. But, maybe still a bit too obvious and too easily solved which in reality is never the case.

Depressed people can look happy, they are smiling, they can look kind and calm, they can even look rude and conceited to others, sure they can stop caring and sleep too much, but they can also step into working mode and work obsessively and even use various stimulants, they can eat too much or too little, sleep too much or too little, look happy, careless or angry and rude. You cant always see it.

When I was depressed, I tend to alienate people around me, feeling the need to be isolated from everyone. Alone. This did not seem to others as depression, rather more often I come of as rude, conceited and cold person. I was isolating to protect myself from pain or danger or too demanding relationships, too much emotions, or whatever I saw in other people, but it didn't look like that. It looked like I thought I was "too good for others" or had high opinion of myself. I just couldn't deal with those people, I could barely deal with myself alone. I was rude and angry sometimes, and gave of a vibe of pretty horrible person, or I was just too mellow and looked like I could be easily manipulated (which was not true at all), or I just looked happy and content (which I wasn't). I could easily look professional and calm at work or when talking to others. You could NOT tell. You could not see. It's not obvious.



Коментари

Популарни постови са овог блога

Dreams and Death

Recently I watched "Obsession" in Cinema and it made me think. Being passenger in your own body and not being able to control it while feeling everything and still being inside of that mind is specific kind of horror. But, this is something I've lived through almost every day of my life. In dreams. Dreams are huge mystery and people still have no idea what they are exactly, why do we need them at all. Sleep, ok, fine, body is regenerating, brain is regenerating, but why dreams exist? And why are they so weird? Even animals dream though we will never know what. In huge majority of my dreams I am someone else, not me, probably not even on this planet or this dimension, or this timeline. Only in rare occasions I can do anything to control body I am occupying in those dreams, more often than not, I am just that: a Passenger. A parasite, a little soul in mind of different body that has their own mind, life, habits, world. I am just inside of that mind, observing, feeling every...

Some fun youtube channels to check

In no particular order:  GregBroDudeMan - Man watches videos and reacts. Plain and simple. Very genuine, very non-controversial, sweet and authentic. People love this Greg Bro dude man, because he appears to be genuinely non-problematic person which is rare on internet. Very cute, wholesome channel with reactions. Zaffy - Zaffy is masked man who fights crimes and bad movies and series. He is a pitch-black comedy character who sometimes get into really dark topics and does it quite well. He also makes a lot of weird but strangely authentic and smart theories about popular movies and tv series. Morgin DuPon t - absolute sweetie. I like her, smart, funny, down to Earth, but she sometimes seems very sad. On the bad side, she posts rarely and often deletes her videos. But I am keeping an eye on her. Luxeria - absolute riot! If you like brilliant and funny commentary videos, mostly on reality tv shows, this is a channel for you. Luxeria is funny and smart and very down to Earth. Her comm...

Creating hate using media and social networks

As someone well over age 50 I learned that it's much easier to attract attention with hate than with love, it's much easier for people to hate or to feel rage than to even try to understand. A lot of people see everything as they are told to see, by media, or internet, or whatever, evil versus good. Nothing in between! Just bad-good, no grey areas. And everything is a shade of grey (nothing to do the famous franchise), there are very little things, events, attitudes, opinions, people, points of view etc that are quite close to 100% evil or 100% good, but none of it is completely there. Sad thing is, although feeling love, gratefulness, being kind and understanding DOES indeed makes us feel better, it is easier to feel rage, hate, anger, mistrust, and refusing to understand, even though all that, on the long run, makes us feel miserable. It's too easy to watch the news and believe one whole nation is just bad, bad people, who should be wiped out, just because, well, people o...