Пређи на главни садржај

Worm-infested cherries part 1.

Worm-infested cherries part 1.
By Biljana Malesevic

Once when I was a child, I got a bag of ripe, sweet cherries. I immediately started to eat them, without so much of bothering to wash them. I devoured each one and leisurely spat pits as I ate. I ate almost half a kilo until I opened one by hands, just out of boredom, because I was already somewhat satisfied. Then I discovered that each single sweet fruit had a small whitish worm inside. Although I have previously eaten dozens of cherries, I suddenly lost a desire to eat even one more.

I live in Slatina, distant and lone village, for more than twelve years, but I am still not fully accustomed to the rural way of life. Switching from the city child used to late nights out, supermarkets and shopping malls, constant screaming of city noise and office work, to a peaceful life in a modest farmhouse can take years, probably decades. I haven’t still managed to curb urban child in me. Still, sometimes I get the urge to spruce up for the evening, splash my face with make-up like I am going to act in the Japanese theatre, and wear my sluttiest pieces of clothing. Masked like that, I would go looking for some good piece of meat, which was usually standing half naked in some smoke-filled disco. Sometimes I feel nostalgic for  safe, comfortable, office work in State companies, where very little work is done, but money is good. At night silence bothers me. It amazes me that even after twelve years, I have not been able to get used to the lack of human-made noise, absence of people around me, people everywhere closely around me. I miss a feeling of not being alone even if you feel lonely, even if you do not see anyone nearby. Growling engines on the roads, chairs scraping the floors somewhere and slamming steps from the apartment above mine, shouts from the street and from the hallway of the building… All those sounds telling me "you're not really alone." It tells me that people around me, humanity is around me. You know, it was a nice feeling, a feeling that you're not really alone, even if you are.

Did you notice how many horror films begin in some deserted area, somewhere behind God’s back, somewhere where there are no other people except the main characters and possibly a killer? Notice how many horror movies begin with a group of young people who went on a trip to a place where they hope that nobody would disturb them, and not a soul around? Abandoned, quiet town is a place where terrible things happen. I can confirm that it isn’t so. Terrible things happen also in the middle of a large city,  in suburbs, or urban areas. The horrors are happening in front of people who do not want to notice it, as it is easier not to see what was next to them and around them if that is something horrible. When you are screaming in someone’s face and that someone is checking the messages on cell phone, it’s more horrifying than screaming when no one is around.

I got up from bed at five o'clock in the morning, went to feed chickens and water the garden, then to hoe some plants. I like to work with vegetables and fruits. Not so much with chickens, because their naive trust in people depresses me. All scruffy and in sweats, still groggy from sleep, I was wandering around rows of onion and lettuce. They look nice arranged in straight rows. During the first months of my arrival in this village, I used to have vivid fantasies about good-looking village boys and their abs, their smell and wild sex with them. Such fantasies are long gone. I don’t even think about how I look, use the mirror only to brush my teeth and comb my hair. I laugh at myself imagining how it would be if city-me would meet this horrifying, neglected, rural, older version of me and how city-me would hate what I see. I stick my hands in the soil, grabbing between earthworms and roaches. The sun has not risen yet.


Коментари

Популарни постови са овог блога

Dreams and Death

Recently I watched "Obsession" in Cinema and it made me think. Being passenger in your own body and not being able to control it while feeling everything and still being inside of that mind is specific kind of horror. But, this is something I've lived through almost every day of my life. In dreams. Dreams are huge mystery and people still have no idea what they are exactly, why do we need them at all. Sleep, ok, fine, body is regenerating, brain is regenerating, but why dreams exist? And why are they so weird? Even animals dream though we will never know what. In huge majority of my dreams I am someone else, not me, probably not even on this planet or this dimension, or this timeline. Only in rare occasions I can do anything to control body I am occupying in those dreams, more often than not, I am just that: a Passenger. A parasite, a little soul in mind of different body that has their own mind, life, habits, world. I am just inside of that mind, observing, feeling every...

Some fun youtube channels to check

In no particular order:  GregBroDudeMan - Man watches videos and reacts. Plain and simple. Very genuine, very non-controversial, sweet and authentic. People love this Greg Bro dude man, because he appears to be genuinely non-problematic person which is rare on internet. Very cute, wholesome channel with reactions. Zaffy - Zaffy is masked man who fights crimes and bad movies and series. He is a pitch-black comedy character who sometimes get into really dark topics and does it quite well. He also makes a lot of weird but strangely authentic and smart theories about popular movies and tv series. Morgin DuPon t - absolute sweetie. I like her, smart, funny, down to Earth, but she sometimes seems very sad. On the bad side, she posts rarely and often deletes her videos. But I am keeping an eye on her. Luxeria - absolute riot! If you like brilliant and funny commentary videos, mostly on reality tv shows, this is a channel for you. Luxeria is funny and smart and very down to Earth. Her comm...

Is absolute solitude a sign of depression?

Recently, I noticed that even though I sometimes complain of being lonely, I actually actively decline almost every human contact that is offered to me. And I mean 99% of it, if not a whole 100%. I don't really know why, and what is happening to me but I am just so freaking tired, I can't find the strength to deal with people, any people. It's not just physical tiredness, although there is that too, there is enormous mental, emotional, psychological tiredness that I can't seem to overcome. I don't have the will to do anything. Sometimes, I even prepare myself, like, I will go out and socialize, and then just give up. I think I am broken. I do socialize though with animals, mostly cats. Because, it's so easy. They are cute and cuddly, they enjoy pets, they like to eat and they are happy when they get food and cuddles. It's so easy. There is a catch with that connection too. Since those are strays, they do sometimes, disappear or die, get sick, get hurt, and i...