Пређи на главни садржај

Rating Fran Drescher's series

 Fran Drescher was born in September 1957, and she is mostly known for her comedic role and specific voice. Fran made three of her own series (at least, three that I know of, so sorry if I am mistaken) and I watched them all from start to finish multiple times. So, I will list them here from best to worst, with some amateur reviews.

1. The best : The Nanny (1993 - 1999)

The idea of cute, street-smart girl, who starts working as a nanny in rich family was pretty good from the start. The seies are also beautiful to look at. Fran is always dressed to the nines and she carries the amazing clothes better than any super model could. One of the best things about these series is chemistry between actors, which is also what's missing from other two series (hense, why they ultimately failed). The chemistry between Fran Drescher and Charles Shaughnessy is amazing, and although their characters in the show are both far from being perfect people, you can not help but to root for them. Another surprisingly great chemistry is between Fran and Renée Taylor, who plays her mother. There is such great amazing closeness between the two, and Taylor is amazing comedian who has some of the best deliveries in the series. Their relationship is so mom-daughter like and so funny! Ann Guilbert is another gem in these series. Although, she appears to be side character, every time she shows up it's like a gift for audience.

Another surprisingly well working chemistry is between Daniel Davis and Lauren Lane. Although they don't look like a match at all, they suprisingly work and they are easily the funniest couple in this series. Children started a bit clumsy, as a bit two-dimensional characters, but they grew on you in time and became fully fleshed characters on their own. One problem with series that include children is that, child actors grow up and then the story becomes a problem.

Story is a bit controversial, and it could never "fly" today, and there are things that tend to be a little problematic, but it still works. It's very funny, it works, and the characters are not perfect but they seem real and they are funny and likeable. I could watch this series over and over again, absolute best. 10!


2. Decent : Happily Divorced (2011–2013)

This series started after Fran's real life divorced and was based on actual real events. Nothing in Fran's real life story was funny or cute, it must have been devastating for her, but she managed, as usual, bless her, to make it work as a comedy. I liked Fran in Happily Divorced. She still has great comedic timig, a bit similar personality to original Nanny, but unlike Nanny, here Fran can be overbearing. She meddles into everything, she is doings things for her friends "as favor" without being asked to, but then of course, it all backfires for everyone. She can be irresponsible and silly, and really "too much" but she is still funny, relatable and likeable. And she still rocks those dresses!

Problem with this story is that it's a little sad, it does not have that charm Nanny had, and you can notice Fran struggling to be happy and smiling even when her real life and her character's life situation is really not good. She can still pull of those amazing dresses, big hair and she looks amazing! But the chemistry between characters is lacking. There is some nice chemistry between Fran and John Michael Higgins, so there is no problem there, Valente Rodriguez is hillarious but can't replace Daniel Davis, and Tichina Arnold is great but underused. And I didn't like how she was often presented as "less desirable" than Fran as both actresses are gorgeous. Actors who play Fran's parents are great actors but there is no chemistry between Fran and them, not anything close to like it was with Taylor, and even invisible Morty, like something was missing. It's too a bit more sad than it should have been, especially for someone who was in similar (though not the same) situation and can relate to Fran in series. Fran's main love interest  has not a single shred of chemistry with her, and other than being real good looking man, I do not see them together, their relationship seems really forced.

Still, the series was funny, cast is great, and I could watch it more and more times again. I would give it a 7.



3. Meh : Living with Fran (2005 - 2007)

Boy, where do I start? No story, no struggle, no couple to root for (I mean, they are already together), the main male interest is good looking but has personality of rice cookie and no chemistry with Fran whatsoever. He has no comedic timing and he is just not funny. Sorry Mr McPartlin, but I see you as more of an action hero guy, maybe a detective or sheriff in some thriller, he has that vibe. Maybe he got better as comedian in time, but this was not his best work. Fran tried her best but the sparkles were just not there. When Charles Shaughnessy appeared as ex-husband in few episodes, there was still serious sexual tension between them and more chemistry than with McPartlin. Which probably wasn't intentional. But you could see THEM as a couple for sure. Or maybe it's just my love for Nanny series talking?

Ben Feldman is good, great actor, good comedian, has great presence on screen. So it's a mistery how he and Fran had better chemistry than Fran and her on-screen daughter who actually lived with her, while her son just appeared in episode 1. I can't say anything about Misty Traya because I don't follow her work, but this one was not her best. I didn't find her funny, and her voice annoyed me more than Fran's and that's saying something. Actually, Fran's voice does not annoy me at all, but I Misty's was probably high because she was supposed to play teenager. Other characters were just... kind of ... there, I think Fran's on-screen mom appeared few times but I barely even remember her. Series were funny mostly thanks to Feldma, Charles Shaughnessy, and Fran, and I did enjoy it but not even close to other two. It was more like "ok, this is watchable".

It was moderately funny here and there, cast had no chemistry, story was lacking and I would give it 4.



Коментари

Популарни постови са овог блога

Dreams and Death

Recently I watched "Obsession" in Cinema and it made me think. Being passenger in your own body and not being able to control it while feeling everything and still being inside of that mind is specific kind of horror. But, this is something I've lived through almost every day of my life. In dreams. Dreams are huge mystery and people still have no idea what they are exactly, why do we need them at all. Sleep, ok, fine, body is regenerating, brain is regenerating, but why dreams exist? And why are they so weird? Even animals dream though we will never know what. In huge majority of my dreams I am someone else, not me, probably not even on this planet or this dimension, or this timeline. Only in rare occasions I can do anything to control body I am occupying in those dreams, more often than not, I am just that: a Passenger. A parasite, a little soul in mind of different body that has their own mind, life, habits, world. I am just inside of that mind, observing, feeling every...

Some fun youtube channels to check

In no particular order:  GregBroDudeMan - Man watches videos and reacts. Plain and simple. Very genuine, very non-controversial, sweet and authentic. People love this Greg Bro dude man, because he appears to be genuinely non-problematic person which is rare on internet. Very cute, wholesome channel with reactions. Zaffy - Zaffy is masked man who fights crimes and bad movies and series. He is a pitch-black comedy character who sometimes get into really dark topics and does it quite well. He also makes a lot of weird but strangely authentic and smart theories about popular movies and tv series. Morgin DuPon t - absolute sweetie. I like her, smart, funny, down to Earth, but she sometimes seems very sad. On the bad side, she posts rarely and often deletes her videos. But I am keeping an eye on her. Luxeria - absolute riot! If you like brilliant and funny commentary videos, mostly on reality tv shows, this is a channel for you. Luxeria is funny and smart and very down to Earth. Her comm...

Is absolute solitude a sign of depression?

Recently, I noticed that even though I sometimes complain of being lonely, I actually actively decline almost every human contact that is offered to me. And I mean 99% of it, if not a whole 100%. I don't really know why, and what is happening to me but I am just so freaking tired, I can't find the strength to deal with people, any people. It's not just physical tiredness, although there is that too, there is enormous mental, emotional, psychological tiredness that I can't seem to overcome. I don't have the will to do anything. Sometimes, I even prepare myself, like, I will go out and socialize, and then just give up. I think I am broken. I do socialize though with animals, mostly cats. Because, it's so easy. They are cute and cuddly, they enjoy pets, they like to eat and they are happy when they get food and cuddles. It's so easy. There is a catch with that connection too. Since those are strays, they do sometimes, disappear or die, get sick, get hurt, and i...